Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving....

Today is a day of reflection and a day of genuine heartfelt thankfulness for me. I assume it is for most people who celebrate the holiday. As a Believer though, I think it goes deeper. Jesus, the Saviour of our souls, surely is being lifted up as the greatest reason of our thankfulness. I am thankful for God's Plan.

I look at the people that have come into my life this year and years past and had it not been for the Lord's divine appointments I would have missed these wonderful gifts. God's timing is perfect and I find that I am even thankful for that, even though it's not always my time. I am thankful for God's timing.

This year was the restoration of my relationship to my son. Jeff is a wonderful young man with a great family. His life is a testimony of God's faithfulness to answer our prayers. He has 3 beautiful sons and I am thinking possibly more to come. I am thankful for God's promises.

My daughter, Rhiannon, moved away from Shreveport. This is a bittersweet thing for me as she is gone from here but she is following her dream and I applaud her for that. I am thankful she can go and reach for the dream. So many of us stop before our dreams are realized. I am thankful for God's seed of dreams and those dreams being fulfilled.

I have had a young lady in my life for many years, she is very special to me and God used her to change my heart on some issues when she was quite a little bitty. She is a young lady now and absolutley beautiful! She asked me to be her mentor and this summer we had a couple of weeks to spend together. It is an honor and a privilege to be able to speak into your life and teach you. I am thankful to God that He would allow me this honor.

For my different friends, you know who you are. Wow, what can I say? It's been a great year, huh? Lots of laughter, some tears, studying the Word. What does that old beer commercial say? It just doesn't get any better than this. Don't get religious on me now cause I mentioned beer. LOL! You have blessed my life more than you will ever know. I am thankful for your love, your sense of humor, your honesty and your hunger to know the Lord and the things that move His heart. You all are such a physical manifestation that God is still loving me. I am thankful to God that He looked down on me, had compassion on me and gave me the gift of love and friendship once again.

I am thankful for my husband. I had the opportunity to be in the bed sick. I say opportunity because not all women get to be in the bed when they are sick. They still have to take care of husbands and children. I am an extreme baby when I am sick. EXTREME!! When I was younger I went to my mom's and she would take care of me but that was long ago and I haven't really been sick much since then. This year I have been sick several times and every time, Ken has taken care of me like my mom did. I am thankful for a husband who is empathetic.

We had puppies this year. I love my dogs!!! I am thankful for them, Abba spoke to me when I bought Roni she would be a test of my maturity. I will only say that I have matured. I, through them, have seen what it is to be loved unconditionally. To see what it really means to be dependent on God and not my own devices. Our dogs depend on us to take care of them and they in turn shower us with lots of love and affection and joy! God speaks to me through them. I am thankful to God for lessons of love and faith.


It has also been a sad year, it's been a year and a half since my mom passed, Thanksgiving just isn't the same as far as the whole family getting together goes. My Pastors mom passed away this month - a mighty woman of God. My friend lost her daughter last Friday, she was only 12. This is bittersweet. Even in this, I am thankful because I know where they all are and they are having the best thanksgiving ever! I am thankful because God has prepared a place for us when we leave here.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving and remember every good gift (including people) comes from the Lord:

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17

The scripture keeps rolling around in my spirit...


26 Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD.
From the house of the LORD we bless you. [a]

27 The LORD is God,
and he has made his light shine upon us.
With boughs in hand, join in the festal procession
up [b] to the horns of the altar.

28 You are my God, and I will give you thanks;
you are my God, and I will exalt you.

29 Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
his love endures forever.

1 comment:

Kiersten Blaire said...

Beautiful post, Beloved! What you wrote was so sweet. Btw, I LOVE the scripture you included at the end! :)


I am so thankful for you, and am blessed that God has put someone like you in my life. You are a wonderful mentor/friend/spiritual mother/watchman (..or watchwoman:) in my life. There's not a lot of people who can say they hold that many positions in a person's life :)
You have always been so special to me and have held a very special place in my heart, and I know you always will. I love you, Mrs. Teresa!! :)

*Happy Thanksgiving to you!*